Tuesday, December 30, 2008

5 a Day


We all know we should “Strive for Five” servings of fruits and veggies a day to keep our bodies healthy. Peggy Fussell tagged me with the task of describing the 5 things I do everyday to keep my spirit happy & healthy. This fun exercise fits right in with planning for a new year. Here are my top five:
  1. I get motivated by reading Ralph Marston's The Daily Motivator. The Daily Motivator message helps me start the day with a positive and balanced outlook.
  2. Walking my dog Shelty elevates my mood. Bonding with man's best friend is always a good idea, as is walking around my 1970's era neighborhood with its large lawns and mature trees. While walking the dog, I appreciate the beauty around me while also getting some exercise and fresh air.
  3. We always sit down as a family for a homemade dinner served on nice dishes and illuminated by candles. If I have been under a lot of stress during the day, I feel it melt away during dinner. We occasionally try to save time by getting take-out or going out to eat. It never works. It doesn't save much time, the food is not as nutritious as what we make ourselves at home, and going out to eat is harder on the environment than cooking ourselves. Eating at home also saves money, which eliminates future stress over credit card bills!
  4. Exercising every day is essential to feeling good and maintaining good mental health. There is definitely a mind-body connection. I like walking, aerobics, weight lifting, and yoga. This is the one item I need to do better at ... if I run out of time, exercise is the item I omit. Not good!
  5. Finally, I need to do art everyday to feel my best. And I usually do!

    I now need to tag 5 other bloggers. There is no obligation to participate, of course. Only if you have time and think it would be fun!

3 comments:

studio lolo said...

it sounds like you have your priorities in pretty good order! Thanks for tagging me. This one looks fun! I'll have to work on it tonight after I finish seeing all my four-legged patients :)

Ann said...

Great post! And excellent advice. I have made notes for myself, inspired by your five :)

Unknown said...

These are great ideas to keep in mind. I love the drawings.
Happy New Year!