Saturday, March 28, 2009

Doodling on a Jet Plane



I flew to the Washington DC area this week; this is what I did on the flight home to Dallas. The plane was nearly empty, so I had a whole row of seats to myself. Very relaxing. Good for me, bad for American Airlines. I got the idea for this type of drawing from the book Keys to Drawing with Imagination by Bert Dodson. Dodson calls this escher tiling:

The object of this technique is to make a drawing that has no background spaces; every shape is an object that fits into every other shape.

I made up a game where I had to copy images from the Sky Mall catalog in the seat pocket in front of me. You know, the catalog with things no one really needs? Like the King Tut Life-Sized Sarcophagus Cabinet for $850?

I flipped through the catalog until I came to an image that appealed to me, then I fitted it into the drawing. Very relaxing and childlike. Doing art for no reason at all.

No comments: