Monday, November 30, 2009

Illustration Friday - Entangled


When I saw the prompt entangled, I immediately thought of a thicket of bushes in my backyard. The tangles have long fascinated me, and I have been wanting to draw them for some time now. This prompt was a good excuse. I drew from life for about an hour and then switched to imagination. I developed the drawing in pencil and at the end added some colored pencil, colored pen, and pastel pencil. I left part of the drawing undone, because I think it looks more interesting that way.

8 comments:

Coreopsis said...

This is a really nice drawing. I like the little bits of color, and the "unfinished" parts, as well as the tangle itself.

Unknown said...

Very good illustration. I like the touch of colour you've applied.

neilornstein said...

nice work

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mônica said...

It's a beautiful illustration, Laurel. A very complex drawing with just a few colors, it's a great composition. And like you, I like when the artist leaves "unfinished" areas, it does look more interesting!

Shirley said...

Beautiful illustration!! Well done.

Andrew Finnie said...

the unfinished part is a good call. Concentrates the focus on the central part of the image. I admire people who work from nature - too many insects here in OZ!

Laurel Neustadter said...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.