Monday, June 16, 2008

June Oil Painting #5


It is June 15th, and I have completed 10 oil paintings (the remaining 5 are in various states of drying). My goal is to complete 20 oil paintings in June, and I am on track to meet that goal. Here are my thoughts on painting almost every day:
  • Painting almost daily is hard work. Each painting takes me between 1 and 2 1/2 hours. This exercise is giving me an idea of what it would be like to be a professional artist.
  • Painting almost daily builds artistic discipline. I get up and paint because it is a habit.
  • With each painting, I concentrate and strive to do my best. Once the painting is complete, I let it go. There will be another painting tomorrow.
  • Because I paint almost daily, I find it easier to experiment and takes risks. So what if a painting doesn't work out? There is always tomorrow.
  • Painting almost daily is the best way for me to learn. There is a place for learning from teachers and books, but learning by doing is the best teacher.

7 comments:

Ann said...

Great post! I completely agree, it takes discipline, which is very hard to establish, but the only way. Your paintings are all very nice. Great job with your painting project!

suzanne cabrera said...

Very nice reflections. I agree wholeheartedly with all of them.

Jeanette Jobson said...

You've done well and progress shows in your daily efforts. It does take commitment to follow through on this. I wish I had the time to do so.

juj said...

Great post, and great painting. I really like the dynamics going on between the different eggs. Almost like a sociological commentary.

Lorie McCown said...

You are so right with all your statements. The work becomes less 'precious' if you are constantly doing it. Being disciplined like you are doing is the way to go. Great post.

Laurel Neustadter said...

Thanks for the support. As of today, only 8 more paintings to meet my goal!

Ujwala Prabhu said...

congratulations on meeting the commitment to work on these oil paintings. i've been trying to do this for oh so long and am still trying :( really need to pull up my socks! thanks for the inspiration.