It is June 15th, and I have completed 10 oil paintings (the remaining 5 are in various states of drying). My goal is to complete 20 oil paintings in June, and I am on track to meet that goal. Here are my thoughts on painting almost every day:
- Painting almost daily is hard work. Each painting takes me between 1 and 2 1/2 hours. This exercise is giving me an idea of what it would be like to be a professional artist.
- Painting almost daily builds artistic discipline. I get up and paint because it is a habit.
- With each painting, I concentrate and strive to do my best. Once the painting is complete, I let it go. There will be another painting tomorrow.
- Because I paint almost daily, I find it easier to experiment and takes risks. So what if a painting doesn't work out? There is always tomorrow.
- Painting almost daily is the best way for me to learn. There is a place for learning from teachers and books, but learning by doing is the best teacher.