Wednesday, November 12, 2008

100 Heads: Head #22


This is my son Christopher, drawn from life. Sleeping children make reasonably good models. Even during sleep they move around a lot, but at least you can get a 10-15 minute pose. I spent 30-60 minutes on this drawing. Christopher shifted during that time, where upon I adjusted the drawing or drew from memory (which ever was easiest).

I prefer drawing from life over drawing from photographs or master drawings. I am finding, however, that copying master drawings is improving my life drawing. And if a model is not available, a photograph is better than nothing.

Christopher was a great help to me over the weekend. He loves to help with chores. He wanted to wash the floors. At first I said no; I thought it would be easier if I did it myself. But then I came to my senses. My son wanted to save me a lot of time and effort. Who am I to deny him the opportunity to be helpful? So I told him he could wash the living room floor (it is tiled). Christopher's response? "I've washed that floor before, and boy, was it fun!" He did a great job. I drew.

1 comment:

Penhallow Street said...

Sounds as if you two make a good team! Very precious and peaceful portrait of your son. Enjoying your work--the one of Degas' Giovanna is captivating.