Wednesday, November 26, 2008

100 Heads: Heads 28-30


I am practicing head rotations. No, this is not a scene from The Exorcist. And it is not a mug shot. Rather, this is practice drawing heads in different positions from imagination. The grid helps me size the head and place the features on the face. This exercise requires a good understanding of anatomy and a lot of practice. This is my first attempt. I am not too good at it yet. There is so much to remember: the skull, muscles, planes of the face, standard proportions, and male vs female variations. I can't keep it all in my head yet. I am going to switch between drawing from imagination and drawing from life and photographs. Drawing from imagination tests my knowledge and skills. I realize what I do not know and as a result I start to observe more as I draw from life and photographs.

No comments: