Sunday, March 2, 2008

EDM #160 - Draw a Trophy or Award


This was a tough one for me. We tend to toss any trophies and awards that come our way, so I had a hard time finding something to draw. I no longer like or seek awards. Awards are judgmental and can cause us to behave in ways that is pleasing to others but not necessarily ourselves. I now aspire to follow my inner muse and do work that meets my personal standards, not external standards.

This is a drawing of an award I did keep, because it is a cute stuffed animal and my son Christopher likes it. I received it about 10 years ago. I was working at a software consulting company and we had just completed a large project. As a reward, we were given a fancy dinner. A limo transported all the team members from and to their homes. At the dinner, each team member was given a gift that represented something about their personality. I was given a stuffed animal bull dog, because that was my nick name. I was known as bull dog because if I was given a difficult technical problem, I wouldn't give up until I solved it. It is more of a memento than an award.

Mechanical and 3B pencil on 9" x 12" Strathmore 400 Series Sketch Pad paper.

No comments: