Friday, October 5, 2007

Crosshatched Mug

I love well-executed crosshatching but am not very good at it. Here is some practice from yesterday. I used a 4B pencil ... I am thinking a slightly harder pencil might give finer results. Experimentation doesn't always lead to good results. It is tempting to stay in one's comfort zone and do things the way one has always done them. But growth as artist requires experimenting, enjoying the process, and not getting too wrapped up in each and every result.

2 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

This is a lovely drawing Laura. I too love crosshatching. It always fascinates me.

I find that I have the best results with a very well sharpened pencil, but I rarely use wooden pencils anymore and stick with a .3mm mechanical pencil or a .5mm which give nice crisp lines and I never need to sharpen them.

Laurel Neustadter said...

Thanks for the tip, Jeanette, I'll try a mechanical pencil next time.